Sunday, April 25, 2010

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step..."

We've all heard the quote, but have you ever thought about what it really means? When I got back to Auburn today, Blonde Britney had bought me a book I have been eyeing at Wal-Mart called God Never Blinks. If you have never heard of it...FIND IT...READ IT. I'm doing it, and I should be studying for my final tomorrow. :)I'm on Chapter 2 and I'm in love with it already. This particular chapter is entitled "When in Doubt, Just Take the Next Right Step". It sounds easy enough, but I am so oftentimes guilty of getting worried about how I'm going to handle medical school and if I'm going to get married or have kids and what I'm going to do this summer that I forget the most important step in my journey...the next one.

This chapter can apply to people in all kinds of situations...people who are trying to make a change in their life...trying to overcome an addiction...trying to plan their future...trying to forgive someone...trying to imagine what the future holds for them. As sad as it is, it's true that we are never promised another second on this planet, so maybe we should stop worrying so much about what the future holds and do the only thing we can do and that is to take the next right step. The book uses the analogy of driving at night. Your headlights can't shine all the way to your destination, but they shine just far enough ahead so that you don't get into trouble...and inevitably they get you to there.

We set out on journeys in life all the time...education, love, friendships...and sometimes we have to redirect our path because we realize maybe we have taken a wrong step...but that's okay because the beauty of your journey is that it is your own and you have the ability to take a few steps back and redirect yourself. And don't focus on how MANY steps it is going to take to achieve your goal or mend your broken fences. "If you want to lose 40 pounds, you order salad instead of fries. If you want to be a better friend, you take a phone call instead of screening it. If you want to write a novel, you sit down and write a single paragraph."

Whether your journey is a thousand miles or just a walk around the corner, I encourage you to take that next right step, and you might be surprised at what you accomplish when you reach your destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment