Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Moving On...

Moving sucks. I have always hated it...and it's not just the fact that I am moving from the third floor at Creekside to the third floor at my new apartment (Dad was super excited when he discovered this); moving is always a bittersweet process, and this one will be no different.

I am really excited about moving to Birmingham. I have a fantastic roommate who is one of my very best friends. We have a really cute apartment in a place where I feel safe. Most importantly, I can finally begin to see all my hard work paying off. I've worked toward this since high school when I decided I wanted to pursue a career in medicine. My dream is coming true, and it is an awesome feeling.

However, I am also sad to leave Auburn. It is a wonderful place to live. It is so easy to take things for granted when you have access to them everyday...Pannie George's, for example! I have made some great memories and some great friends in Auburn. Wednesday nights at the Q will serve as some of the best times I had in college. Tailgating, having porch nights, cheap movie nights, and study break runs to Daylight Donuts or Cold Stone (until it closed...I'm still scarred). I also gained a new "family" this past year in an unlikely place--New Site, Alabama. There are some really special people there...people that remind you what being a good person is all about...people that will take you into their family and treat you like they have known you all their lives...people who will be there for you when you need them, no matter what time of day or night. My time with them won't be as frequent next year, but I will always stay in touch and never forget everything they have done for me.

In my old and wise years, I have begun to think people are lot like moving...you have to separate them into boxes. Your favorite things/your necessities...these things will always be with you, no matter where life takes you. Then there are the things you'd kind of like to keep around...just in case. They aren't things you need on a daily basis, but you know they will be there when you need them...and finally, some things seem to just get in the way and cause you more stress than they are worth. That stuff goes into the "Trash" pile :) I encourage you to survey the people in your life...and think about which box they really belong in.

In closing, I ask that you pray for our safety as we travel this weekend. Also, pray that my Dad doesn't talk me into leaving my furniture in Auburn and just sleeping on an air mattress in Birmingham...

No comments:

Post a Comment